I don’t know what you’ve got planned for this weekend but if you have a spare couple of hours, I think you should watch About Time. It was sold as a rom-com and I guess it does have those elements, but that’s not even a portion of what this beautiful, beautiful movie represents. It’s about family and love and discovery and loss. It breaks your heart in the most unexpected of ways but still manages to leave you with…hope? I guess joy, too. There’s a message in this movie that, when you get it, has the force to bowl you over. It bowled me over, at least. As someone who is always looking forward to the “next thing”, I needed it.
I will say no more. WATCH IT.
And Happy Weekend dudes. xo
I don’t usually blog about the Oscars because 1) The Golden Globes are just so much more fun and 2) Fashion wrap-up posts take foreverrrrr to put together. But I feel like last night’s broadcast deserves a mention, for a myriad of reasons:
“What would Bill Nye do?” is an excellent question to ask yourself. And if you’re not convinced he is a genius gentleman with the patience of an angel, you have to watch him debate creationist Ken Ham on evolution.
Have an excellent weekend. Be kind to strangers, even ignorant ones.
I’ve got major palm tree withdrawal and the only thing helping are these images from legendary photographer Slim Aarons. There was a time when I wished I could have been a hippie in the 60s, Almost Famous-styles, but my current aesthetic is much more 60s socialite jet-setter. I can’t get enough of it. Aaron’s book Poolside is insane. If you love these photos, you will adore the book.
Cocktails after tennis then? Fabulous.
1. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios is the shit and everyone should go.
2. Little boys aged 18 months will at times delight (Auntie! Auntie kiss!) and disgust (*wails in car for one hour straight*) you.
3. Miami is always a good idea.
4. Celebration is my favourite American town sorry not sorry.
5. There are only two bars worth visiting in downtown Orlando – The Courtesy (shout-out to Doss) and Hanson’s Shoe Repair. Otherwise, just hang out in the Mills District.
6. Just because someone is 30 years older than you, doesn’t mean they won’t whoop your ass in tennis. Getting beat by your Dad when he isn’t even really trying that hard is a special kind of humiliating.
7. Cocoa Beach has decent surf but also a million seagulls and hoards of tourists who willingly feed them pizza crusts. If birds aren’t your thing, Stay Away.
8. What I always want to eat: Chuy’s.
9. The Broken Shaker is maybe the best bar in America.
10. Got a car? Get a Sun Pass.
In summary, I’m getting pretty good at this snowbird stuff. Next year: fishing trip, Keys/Everglades tour, more Miami and, hopefully, a permanent vacation home down there, if the parents decide to buy. Fingers crossed.
I did a guest post for the hilarious gifting blog Shit Girls Want. What do girls want? I dunno. My sister lives and dies for anything heart-shaped with diamonds, I have a friend who is used to limousines and shopping sprees at Holt Renfrew and me, I just want to get out of town. Always with the getting out of town. You can read my suggestions for the perfect getaway here.